South Shore Garages
We're completely rehabilitating the Braintree Station and Quincy Adams Station parking garages to bring both into a State of Good Repair.
Contract awarded: March 2018
Projected completion: December 2021
Budget: $64.3 million
Braintree and Quincy Adams garages:
- Structural concrete and parking deck repairs
- New stormwater and sewer drainage systems
- New signage and improved pedestrian and vehicle traffic flow
- Security and safety updates to security cameras, and to electrical, lighting, and fire protection alarms and systems
- Cleaned and treated parking areas and garage facades
- New striping in open parking areas
- Renovated parking management offices
- New stairways throughout the garages
- New roofing and rust-resistant covered parking decks
- New lobby with an accessible elevator and other accessibility upgrades
- New emergency power generator and transformer
- New canopies in front of the station and along a portion of the Commuter Rail ramp
Quincy Adams Garage and parking lot:
- Site improvements along the pathway to Independence Ave.
- New bicycle storage
- Improvements to the atrium busway, stairs, walkways, and drop-off/pick up areas
- Installation of a new pedestrian bridge and escalator improvements
- Centre Street bridge repairs
- Drainage work and improvements to the north parking lot
- Safer, more accessible parking spots and pedestrian routes to and from the stations
- 40-year extended service life for reduced maintenance costs and service impacts
- Better parking amenities and wider parking spots
- Improved rider experience and safety
Building a Better T 2020
This project is one of many we are accelerating in 2020 that will deliver results to riders sooner.
To allow for accelerated work the Braintree and Quincy Adams parking garages will be closing for three months starting Monday, October 5, 2020. Garages are expected to re-open in early January of 2021.
Follow @mbta_parking on Twitter for real-time availability reports weekday mornings.
Additional parking at Braintree
Additional parking at Quincy Adams
What to Expect During This Work
There may be limited interruptions of subway and Commuter Rail service while we work on the Braintree and Quincy Adams garages. We'll schedule this work for weekends and off-peak hours when possible.
Zone 1A Fares
On weekdays during this work, if Red Line service is affected, riders can travel between Braintree and South Station on the Commuter Rail for just $2.40, the same price as a Zone 1A or subway fare. Simply show your CharlieCard or CharlieTicket to the conductor.
The pedestrian bridge at the Braintree Parking Garage was demolished in December 2019. It will be replaced by a new garage lobby featuring elevators and stairwells.
The Route 3 flyover ramp to the 2nd level of the Braintree Garage is closed due to construction. Drivers can access the Braintree Garage and drop-off/pick-up from the Ivory Street entrance during this time.
We invite you to review documents related to the South Shore Garages project.
For More Information
Get project news, updates, and info about upcoming public meetings delivered to your inbox.